Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Resolutions, Learning to Be Lazy, and Letting Yourself Live

The Lazy Manifesto:
http://zenhabits.net/2009/01/the-lazy-manifesto-do-less-then-do-even-less/
34/20
It's great, isn't it? I got it from Sanquinetta's wall, and thought it was great. This is stuff I'm not so good at, but am trying to do in the new year, as the only resolution I've made has been to try to LIVE my life instead of always waiting for something and watching the years go by calmly and frightenedly.

Letting go (of things, issues, people, toxicity, relationships, etc.,) isn't something I'm good at, and neither is relaxing. I always have been a total shy, terrified, stressball, and this kind of stuff, plus Dawn are just what I need as inspiration in my resolution to LIVE, as it involves trying to let go, trying not to take everything SO damn seriously and so dang personally, facing my fears (1 by 1, because I have a LOT, I'm like a female version of Monk who doesn't even leave her house to go to work!!!), interacting with people (I actually might go to Bogart's Friday night after all), and no longer wearing only white bras (here's to you, Dawn!).

So, anyway, this article has already been posted to my blog, and I'm going to print it out to have on hand to remind me that I need to live my life, and appreciate it while I can, so as not to waste any more time. That includes letting myself be lazy, not working 7 days a week, spending time with friends and family, not thinking I need my dad's permission (since he never would have given it, I don't allow myself to go out, go on vacation, go shopping for myself, etc.) to go out, go on vacation, go shopping for myself, etc.

With all my fears, foibles, debilitating shyness, neuroses and phobias, among other issues, this is not proving to be an easy task, but I am taking baby steps, just like Bill Murray in "What About Bob?," and I have kept my resolution so far, 12 days into the new year! LOL!!!!

It all goes along with what Dawn said about my bra, Monk (really, he is me, or I am him), and the following poem by Merritt Malloy, which is what inspired me to leave MN, leave a toxic relationship, leave a dead-end job, and go back to school in 2002:

Choices

All you have to do
to change your life
is to change your mind
...it really is that simple
But
it isn't always easy.

All you have to do
to stop feeling bad
is to start feeling good
But
"feeling good" is not a one-time event
It is a decision we make
minute by minute
day by day
...It is a creation.

The way to change the world
is to change
your attitude towards it
...not just once,
but all the time.


Merrit Malloy, From My Song for Him Who Never Sang for Me


No comments:

Post a Comment