Thursday, April 7, 2011

Liberty? This is *My* America.

 
What I liked, or found interesting, and what prompted me to take the picture as we were driving by is that:
  • I am in the South.
  • I used to believe that matters of gender and racial equality and civil rights were no longer controversies in these United States.
  • This is a  man.
  • He is black.
  • He is dressed as the Statue of Liberty.
  • He is standing on the side of the road in Wilmington, NC.
  • He is trying to get people, in a country that is suffering, and has been for more than the three years of this presidency, to come in and file their income tax returns.
  • The government could shut down the day after tomorrow.
The sum total of what he "represents" just seemed so very incongruous to me, and on so many levels, that I had to slow down and take his picture.

p.s. It made it all the more surreal or whatever it is as he is standing on a corner outside a Waffle House, of all places.

p.p.s. All tolled, this is *my* America.

No comments:

Post a Comment