Wednesday, March 23, 2011

I Said, "Good Day!!!"


I am not racist.  I am about as unprejudiced as they come.  I have preconceived notions, right or wrong, that have been formed by my upbringing, my experiences, etc., like everybody else.   But when it comes down to it, I do not believe that ANYBODY is better than anybody else, that any job is more worthy, that anybody is smarter, etc.  We all have different strengths.  WE are all good at different things.  Like that Einstein quote says, "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

I was born a citizen of two countries: France and the United States.  I love them both.  Differently.  For different reasons.  But frankly, when it comes down to it, I am more American than I am French.  Now, don’t get me wrong, I am not thrilled with the path these United States have taken in recent years.  To the point that I am pretty much convinced that I am moving back to France for the duration.  And last time I lived there, I hated it.  But this time, I’ll live where I want to live and do what I want to do and not let those oh-so important decisions be made by other people or determined by other people’s needs and wants.  I am not usually so selfish, but once in a while you need to do what’s best for you, right?

Okay, so anyway, I was born with two citizenships.  There are some things I like better about France and others that I like better about the United States.  Interestingly, though France was the birthplace of the Declaration of Human Rights and thought put into practice in that realm of human existence, I believe, from my own experience, that freedom is something I like more in the United States.  Simply put, we are freer than the French.  We can change our minds about careers at any age, go back to school whenever we want, we don’t have to decide what we’re going to be at age 14, our every educational and career action or hope or trajectory is not determined by an essay exam or series thereof.  We can speak our minds, say what we don’t agree with, and dress how we want, even if it means wearing a hijab or a Star of David or a habit.  We can go to school where we want to.  We can teach our children ourselves.  We can work where we want, live where we want, and go grocery shopping at 4:11 a.m., if that’s what our little heart desires.  We can name our children Fred Flintstone, and no government organization is going to say that no, that’s not okay.  And yes, fellow incredulous Americans, that list is but a sampling of things we *can* do here that they can’t do in France.  Well, they can do a couple of them.  IFF (for those of you who aren’t quite as downright geeky as I am, IFF=if and only if) they can figure out how, and such figuring is no small feat! 

There are a lot of things wrong with these United States, but those are not the point of my rage.  Not today, anyway.

Today, I am angry.  Oh, yes, indeedy.  Very angry.  I am not often this mad.  Or passionate as some would say.  Oh, don’t get me wrong, I am pretty darn passionate about what I believe in, but I try very hard to temper the potentially inflammatory statements that passion can engender.  I try to listen to other people’s points of view.  I try not to indulge in what I think is usually going on in any given debate, trivial or of global import, which is to pretend to listen, really listen, to your opponent’s point of view or argument, while seemingly innocuously engaging in mental gymnastics.  Instead of actually *hearing* what is being said when arguing or debating or discussing or whatever you want to call it, I think we often spend the time when we are not talking in planning what we are going to say next.  AS such, there is no way anybody will ever learn or be convinced of anything or change their mind.  Ever.  We’re too often too busy figuring out what we can say in retort to actually benefit from the discussion at hand.  Sad.  But true.  In my opinion.

So, anyway, what’s got me so worked up, you ask?  Yesterday, a Facebook friend posted the following on his or her wall:

I PLEDGE ALLEGIANCE TO THE FLAG OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA AND TO THE REPUBLIC FOR WHICH IT STANDS, ONE NATION UNDER GOD, INDIVISIBLE, WITH LIBERTY AND JUSTICE FOR ALL! MY GENERATION GREW UP RECITING THIS EVERY MORNING IN SCHOOL WITH MY HAND ON MY HEART. THEY NO LONGER DO THAT FOR FEAR OF OFFENDING SOMEONE! LET'S SEE HOW MANY AMERICANS WILL REPOST THIS & NOT CARE ABOUT OFFENDING SOMEONE

Okay.  Now please understand, I don’t often repost things anymore.  I don’t like imposing things on people, playing games, or anything of the sort.  Okay, I like playing games, word games, board games, guessing games, etc.  Not mind games.  I don’t like laying guilt trips.  I am not a proponent of tough love.  If you want something from me, ask.  If I can do it, I will.  If I can’t, I can’t.  If I want something from you, I’ll ask.  I don’t need to put conditions on things or set up silly rules for other people to follow.   I really believe in that live and let live mentality you hear about sometimes.

So, I didn’t respond or repost or anything else.

And then…

This morning, I awoke to read the following comments that were posted under my friend’s post:

Russia – our holy nation,
Russia – our beloved country.
A mighty will, great glory –
These are yours for all time!
Chorus:
...Be glorious, our free Fatherland,
Age-old union of fraternal peoples,
Popular wisdom given by our forebears!
Be glorious, our country! We are proud of you!
From the southern seas to the polar lands
Spread our forests and fields.
You are unique in the world, one of a kind –
Native land protected by God!
Chorus
Wide spaces for dreams and for living
Are opened for us by the coming years
Our loyalty to our Fatherland gives us strength.
Thus it was, thus it is and always will be!

And then,

or in Russian...
Россия – священная наша держава,
Россия – любимая наша страна.
Могучая воля, великая слава –
Твоё достоянье на все времена!
Chorus:
...Славься, Отечество наше свободное,
Братских народов союз вековой,
Предками данная мудрость народная!
Славься, страна! Мы гордимся тобой!
От южных морей до полярного края
Раскинулись наши леса и поля.
Одна ты на свете! Одна ты такая –
Хранимая Богом родная земля!
Chorus
Широкий простор для мечты и для жизни
Грядущие нам открывают года.
Нам силу даёт наша верность Отчизне.
Так было, так есть и так будет всегда!

Then, finally,

it offends me to see it...

That was it.  I’d had it.

Does that person not have any notion of respect or dignity or patriotism or national identity?  Who on God’s green earth does he or she think he/she is for corn’s sake????!!!!

What right does anybody have to come to America and criticize us?  What right do we have to go to Cuba and tell them they’re doing things wrong?  What right does anybody have to go into someone else’s home(land) and tell them they need to live differently or eat differently or feel differently or believe differently?????  What in the hell ever happened to self-determination, to autonomy, to a person or city or state or nation being allowed to decide for himself/herself/itself????

If you’re here from somewhere else and you don’t like it, GO HOME!!!!  And I don’t care if “here” is my desk, my room, my home, my community or my country.  Or anybody else’s.  Be respectful and tolerant or people and differences, and don’t go imposing yourself or your beliefs in other people’s worlds.  Just don’t.  Isn’t that one of the basic precepts of human decency?

So, duly riled, I could not contain myself, and said:

I don't think the Russian thing has anything to do with the point ***** is making.

Patriotism is one thing, and a good thing, no matter your country. What I think she is talking about, and I hope I am not talking out of turn here, *****, is a matter of rending the very social fabric of a nation to accommodate newcomers.

Now, I am all for plurality, diversity, and acceptance, BUT, when you go somewhere, when you choose to make another country your home, it is not your place to then seek to change that country. And further, it's one thing for Americans to opt out of the "Under God" part. It's entirely different to seek to abolish those words from what has become sacred. A Pledge. Of Allegiance. That's no small thing. It is not up to others to prevent any nation from adhering to a time-honored tradition that is part and parcel of its national identity.

Followed by:

It offends me deeply to read what you have written, *********.

I don't care if a person chooses to say "under God" or not, but I do think that saying the pledge of allegiance is okay. Part of what makes us American.  If you don't like it, stay in Russia or go back there, and keep your patriotism to yourself and not defacing the FB walls of someone who is simply conveying h** pride in h**country and one of its traditions.

You obviously do not understand and your callous remarks reflect a closed-mindedness and intolerance that truly anger me.

That's all I am going to say about this, as you have me way too upset.

In the words of the immortal Willie Wonka, "You get nothing. You lose. Good day, sir. [...] I said, good day."

I am, obviously, several hours later, still riled.  I mean, really, some people’s kids!!!  What nerve!!!

Fortunately, the person who published the original note understood what I had to say, and replied:

Danielle, VERY well said! That is exactly my point, and it does not just apply to our Pledge of Allegiance, I feel the same way when it comes to ALOT of things that OTHERS want to change that have been a Fabric of our TRADITIONS for years!! ********** you have offended me as well!! You are obviously a FOOL!! I hope you are NOT one that Lives in OUR country!! and saying that OUR Pledge of Allegiance offends you because YOU sir would be EXACTLY who we are talking about.

Maybe we should all keep our propaganda to our own walls and not belittle others on their FB walls for their beliefs? 

And that’s all I have to say about that.

For now.

No comments:

Post a Comment